With the festive season in full swing, we’ve whipped up healthy and delicious Christmas recipes to help you get some nutritional goodness into your food this season, putting together a collection of superfood treats that you and your loved ones will enjoy.
We know Christmas can be a difficult time to keep healthy, with all of the social gatherings, Christmas dinners, and New Year’s Eve parties.
Especially when you’re responsible for preparing food for that special occasion, it can be tempting to cook up the most comforting food or your favorite sugary dessert to impress your guests. However, suppose you’re trying to keep up a healthy and easygoing lifestyle during the holiday, in that case, you’ll be the star when everyone else discovers that your delicious recipes are actually healthy, and you might have to share a recipe or two, or all of them.
In need of some inspiration? Here are some of our favorite superfood healthy & guilt-free party recipes to serve up to our friends and family during the holiday season:
The Appetizer: Homemade Superfood Chips
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Small amount of coconut oil for pan
1/2 teaspoon OMG turmeric powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place chia and sesame seeds in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine evenly. Add remaining seeds and mix until they are all evenly distributed.
- Stir the salt into water until dissolved.
- Add water to the seed mixture and stir well. The mixture will thicken in about 5 minutes. Wait until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and oil it lightly.
- Dump seed mixture onto oiled parchment. Spread mixture to an even thickness of about 1/4″ using the back side of a spoon. Try to not make any holes in the cracker.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and flip over using 2 spatulas.
- Cut into cracker shapes. Sprinkle with a bit more salt and turmeric powder, and return to oven, baking for another 5 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Decrease oven temp to 250 degrees and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, until they look dry.
- Remove from oven.
The main dish: Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna with Cashew Ricotta
INGREDIENTS FOR THE LASAGNA
2 cups (1-inch) cubed butternut squash
1 tablespoon high-heat oil
2 cups raw cashews, soaked*
juice of 2 lemons (1/3 cup)
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons basil
2 tablespoons OMG Lions Mane Mushroom powder
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
28 ounces marinara
6 lasagna noodles
fresh basil for garnish
FOR THE PINENUT PARMESAN
3/4 cup toasted pinenuts
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Arrange the cubed butternut squash on top and toss it with high-heat oil. Bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until tender to pierce with a fork. Remove from oven then reduce heat to 350°F.
- Meanwhile prepare the cashew ricotta by combining the soaked and rinsed cashews with the lemon juice, garlic, Lions Mane powder, and salt in a high-speed blender with 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth. You will likely have to scrape down the sides in between blending. Add a tablespoon or so of water if needed to help blend. Be careful not to add too much water. It should be thick but able to spread.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil then add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until translucent. Add the kale, salt & pepper, and oregano, then cover with a lid and continue to cook until wilted, stirring intermittently. Set aside.
- Prepare the lasagna noodles as directed then rinse them with cold water to keep them from sticking together. In a baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of the marinara along the bottom.
- Place 2 of the noodles over the marinara then layer roughly 1/2 cup of the cashew ricotta on top. Arrange 1/2 of the butternut squash on top of the ricotta, layer with another 1/2 cup marinara then top with 2 more lasagna noodles.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the cashew ricotta on top of the noodles then arrange cooked kale over the top. Add another 1/2 cup marinara then finish with the remaining 2 lasagna noodles.
- Spread the remaining cashew ricotta on the noodles and arrange the remaining butternut squash on top.
- Finish with remaining marinara then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until heated through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pine nut parmesan by combining the toasted pinenuts with nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt in a food processor or blender. Pulse until a somewhat chunky powder forms.
- Remove warm lasagna from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle pinenut parmesan on top of lasagna and garnish with fresh basil. Serve warm!
The Drink: Watermelon Orange Ginger Turmeric Juice
18 oz freshly squeezed orange juice from about 6 oranges
7 cups of cubed watermelon
Approx. 3 knobs of peeled ginger root
1 tsp OMG turmeric powder
- Juice six or so oranges, or until you've reached 18 oz of juice.
- Cut and cube watermelon and add watermelon chunks to a blender. Add ginger (no need to mince or grate) and turmeric. Pour in orange juice.
- Blend until watermelon chunks have liquefied and the juice is as smooth as it'll get. Pour juice through a strainer and discard pulp and ginger remnants. Chill and enjoy!
The dessert: Superfood Rum Balls
We all know that too much sugar of any kind is not good for us, but these balls are made with coconut sugar, which has a lower glycaemic load than white sugar, and cacao powder which adds that energizing chocolate flavor.
1 cup coconut butter
½ cup coconut sugar
1 ½ cup mixed nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds)
½ cup raisins (can be substituted with dates or figs)
4 tbsp OMG cacao powder
3 tbsp rum
2 tbsp + ¼ cup shredded coconut
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp chili powder
- Mix the coconut butter and coconut sugar, mixing it until it stops being crumbly and has the consistency of butter.
- In a food processor shred the nuts and raisins, then add them to the manna mixture.
- Add rum, 2 tbsp of shredded coconut, and 2 tbsp OMG cacao powder, then mix well.
- Press ingredients together and roll into small balls.
- Mix the remaining cacao, cinnamon, and chili powder, and roll the balls in the mixture, then roll each ball in 1/4 cup shredded coconut.
- Put the balls in the refrigerator for an hour, then serve.
This Festive menu is sure to make for a memorable day. Follow our step-by-step and be the host with the most, and surprise your loved ones with deliciousness.
Did you love these recipes? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @omg_superfoods. We love hearing your feedback!