How can I avoid everyday toxins?
Is there a way to detox my body, and do it naturally?
With all the summer fun, the 4th of July, and breaking a few of my daily habits, I felt like my body needed a rest. Being healthy is one of the most important things for me, but with all of this, plus the toxins that we are bombarded with on a daily basis, I felt the need to take action and start helping my body get healthier.
So, I started with those questions, and after a few hours of searching and reading, I think we can have a conversation about how to be healthier and help our body to keep us nourished and detoxified.
I figure that if you’re reading this article it’s because you are asking yourself the same type of questions.
We’ve got plenty to cover, so what do you say we get started?
Naturally, our body has its own detox methods, but there are also key products (I’ll get into that shortly) that we can take to enhance our body’s natural detoxification.
With heaps of people on a health journey wondering how on earth to detox, I complied some of the best ways to detoxify our body.
Ways to naturally detox
Our bodies are capable of getting rid of many unhealthy toxins. The most common ways are through sweat, urine, feces, and our liver. Despite our liver’s ability to filter, there’re a number of daily habits that we can do to keep our bodies detoxified and healthy.
• Limit alcohol
Excessive amounts of alcohol can damage our liver function by causing inflammation and fat buildup. When this occurs, our liver is unable to filter unwanted toxins, which is terrible for our overall health. By reducing alcohol intake we’re helping our liver and our entire system to do its job properly.
• Get a good amount of sleep
Sleeping allows our brain time to remove toxic waste by products that have accumulated throughout the day. If we don't get an adequate amount of sleep each night, our body will not have time to rid itself of those toxins. Keep in mind that most adults need 7 to 9 hours of sleep to face the day on a positive note. Even knowing this, sometimes I have trouble falling asleep. Do you also struggle to sleep? Try listening to a 3 minute video of deep sleep relaxing music I just love, and see if that helps you, it sure does help me.
• Drink a lot of water
Water regulates our body temperature, aids digestion, and detoxifies your body. Water transports toxins by removing them through sweating, breathing, and urination. Staying hydrated is essential for a healthy detox. Keep in mind that the Eatwell Guide says we should drink 6 to 8 cups or glasses of fluid a day to stay hydrated.
• Exercise regularly
Exercising on a regular basis is a huge step towards a healthier lifestyle, as it lessens inflammation and reduces the risk of numerous conditions, such as high blood pressure and weight gain. By reducing inflammation, for example, exercise allows our body to function properly and protect itself against diseases. As a general goal, aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day. Remember, if it sounds tough, start just 1 day at a time, that helps me get my exercise done when I struggle to start… “Just for today”, almost a mantra!
• Eat healthy
We all know that maintaining a healthy diet is essential to our overall health, but I didn't know that the same goes for our bodies ability to detoxify. Some diet tips I found that can be helpful for your bodies detoxification process are:
- Avoiding processed foods
- Eating whole and natural foods
- Limiting salt intake
- Reducing sugar intake
- Introducing some superfoods that can help with the process of feeling better inside and out.
• Add in specific detox-friendly foods
So far we’ve covered some things that are pretty well known, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to apply them, as many require to change some of our habits. So, if you're having trouble incorporating every one of them, one great way of helping our body detoxify is by incorporating superfoods in our day to day. They’re natural, simple to take, and you can have them in many different ways.
The important thing to consider when choosing our superfoods is making sure that they have all the right ingredients our body is going to need. One great example is the Moringa Detox Blend that you can find here.
So let’s dive into what to look for in superfoods for a successful detox.
- Moringa: proven to contain the highest nutrient-rich content of any superfood plant in the world.
- Wheatgrass: supports overall health and wellness, with an excellent source of protein and fiber.
- Barley grass: nutrient dense food, loaded with high proteins, potassium, vitamin and iron, giving your body the green goodness it needs.
- Kale: Supports overall health and wellness thanks to Vitamins A, C & K.
Everyday toxins don’t stand a chance against this medley of super ingredients!
“Detox isn't necessary”
Now, I wouldn't feel comfortable if I didn't include detox detractors here as well. It was a surprise to see that there’re those who call it a “joke”.
Some people are quick to say that detoxes aren't necessary, arguing that the body is more than capable of taking care of itself, and that is not entirely true. I want to share some ideas from an expert that I found amongst my research so that you understand where I’m coming from when sharing my detoxifying strategies.
"In a healthy body, the process of detoxification runs smoothly," Mark Hyman, M.D., functional medicine doctor and New York Times bestselling author.
“The truth is our bodies might not be fully equipped to deal with the toxicity you’re now facing - Hyman explains - When you become toxic, the mechanism for detoxification in the liver gets sluggish, and certain toxins can remain active longer than we want or than our systems can handle. This makes us sick and impedes normal metabolism. It also causes fluid retention, bloat, and puffiness."
Today, more than ever, we're bombarded with toxins, which can make us tired and sick, and we'll continue to feel this way unless we make a shift to detoxify.
"The key becomes figuring out how to enhance your bodies capacity to detoxify and get rid of waste while minimizing your exposure to toxins," Hyman said.
Although we can't always control the world around us or our exposure to pollutants, we can make strategic dietary changes that can help diminish their effects, lightening our overall toxic load and helping our body act faster.
Another way to look at how good a Detox process is, is to check what other people have to say after trying some of the strategies for detoxing their body. Alexis left this review after giving our OMG Detox Blend a go.
“LOVE!! This stuff is amazing! I first found it at tj maxx and thought I would try it not knowing that I would not be able to live without it. This stuff makes me feel good, go to the bathroom, get in variety of greens I would never eat otherwise, makes my skin glow, and it is so easy to just throw into a smoothie every morning and start each day off amazingly.” said Alexis W.
In all honesty, these methods we have seen have been working for me, and according to our OMG community, and experts as well, I am on the right track towards a healthier version of myself, and I truly hope that you will give it a go, because they can get the job done and dusted.
So as a way to round up, I would love to share with you some detoxifying and delicious recipes that I've found through my enlightening research.
My top 3 recipes for a delicious, nutritious, and healthy detox
01. Detox smoothie
This Detox Smoothie is like drinking a liquid vitamin!
The ingredients in this particular smoothie are carefully chosen to flood your body with nutrients.
- 1/2 cup water (or orange juice)
- 1 green apple
- 2 tablespoons Moringa Detox Blend
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 frozen banana
- Handful of blueberries
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Small handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve right away.
02. Super green smoothie bowl
OMG’s ideal green smoothie bowl has a super bright green color (achieved with lighter-colored berries and loads of greens), nut butter for extra protein, avocado for healthy fats and richness, flaxseed meal for fiber, Moringa Detox Blend to flush out the nasty toxins, and natural sweetness from frozen bananas.
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 2 medium ripe bananas (previously sliced and frozen)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 small handful kale
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp salted creamy almond or peanut butter (optional)
- 2 Tbsp OMG Organic Moringa Detox Blend
- Roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- Raw or roasted nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Fresh berries
- Hemp seeds
- Add all smoothie ingredients + Moringa Detox Blend to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Add more almond milk (or water) too thin.
- For more protein, add nut butter! This also offsets/enhances the natural sweetness of the smoothie.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and top with desired toppings!
03. Spinach muffins
These easy Spinach Muffins are naturally gluten-free and each bite is packed with nutrients from greens, fruit, and my secret ingredient… OMG Detox blend.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- egg or vegan flax/chia egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 spoons on OMG Detox Blend
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a mini muffin tin.
- Into a blender, add the banana, water, almond butter, egg, honey, spinach, OMG Detox Blend, rolled oats, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt, in that order.
- Pour the green batter into the prepared mini muffin cups. We usually get 22 to 24 muffins out of this batch.
- Put the muffin tin in the preheated oven and bake (about 15 to 17 minutes).
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool at least 30 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin.
- Muffins can be stored at room temperature for 24 hours, but we recommend storing them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Detoxes (done right) can be a healthy way to support our bodies and if you want to make a change towards a healthier you, try some of my strategies.
Enhance your bodies natural detoxification system and improve your overall health by staying hydrated, consuming less salt, staying active, and introducing superfoods to your diet.
I wish you a SUPER day, hope that this blog was helpful, and that right now you are walking through the door of your house on your way to your office with a Detox smoothie, knowing that you have taken the first step to a better version of yourself.