Looking for healthy and quick recipes to make at home? We’ve got plenty of tasty ideas to choose from, in order to feel nourished.
Pomegranate veggies with almond couscous
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 200g couscous
• 1 vegetable stock cube
• 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 pumpkin
• 1 eggplant
• 2 carrots
• 1 red bell pepper
• 1 butternut squash
• 1 zucchini
• 4 tbsp tagine spice paste or 2 tbsp harissa
• 190ml bottle of pomegranate juice
• 100g pack pomegranate seeds
• 100g pack toasted flaked almond
• small pack mint, chopped
STEP 1: Boil the kettle and heat the oil in a large frying pan. Put the couscous in a bowl with some seasoning and crumble in half the stock cube. Add the onion to the pan and fry for a few mins to soften. Pour boiling water over the couscous to just cover, then cover the bowl with a tea towel and set aside.
STEP 2: Push the onion to one side of the pan, add all the veggies. Stir in the tagine paste or harissa and the pomegranate juice, then crumble in the rest of the stock cube and season well. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 mins until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the pomegranate seeds, saving a few to scatter over before serving.
STEP 3: After 5 mins, fluff up the couscous with a fork and stir through the almonds and mint. Serve the veggies on the couscous with the sauce spooned over.
Turmeric, Ginger and Coconut Curry
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 onions, finely sliced
• thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
• 1 tbsp OMG Turmeric Powder
• 1 tbsp garam masala
• ½ tsp cayenne
• 325ml light coconut milk
• 400g boneless and skinless cod loin, cut into chunks
• 300g frozen peas
• 300g sugar snap peas
• 400g brown basmati rice, cooked, to serve
• 1 red chilli, finely sliced
• 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
STEP 1: Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then fry the onion for 8 mins until translucent. Stir in the ginger and spices, and cook for another minute. Pour in the coconut milk and 100ml water, stir, then simmer for 10 mins.
STEP 2: Add the frozen peas and sugar snap peas, and simmer for 5 mins. Serve with the rice, sliced chilli, a good grinding of black pepper and some lime wedges on the side for squeezing over.
• Milk– 1 1/2 cup of milk, or any nut milk
• Spinach– 2 cups fully packed
• Omg Spirulina Powder- 1 tbsp
• Banana– 1 banana (frozen is best)
• Apple– 1 apple sliced into pieces
• Avocado– 1/4 avocado
Just toss the above ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend for about 30 seconds. That’s it! By the end of it, you’ll have a deliciously creamy and vibrant smoothie.
OMG SMOOTHIE TIPS
• If you like your smoothies a bit thicker, add another 1/4 slice of avocado. If you like your smoothies a bit thinner or you’d like to save a few calories, you can substitute the milk with water.
• Don’t add ice cubes as it will dilute the smoothie. The best way to keep the smoothie cold is to use a frozen banana.
Spicy Falafel Avocado Rolls
• Falafel (approx 180g)
• generous squeeze lime juice
• ½ tsp mild chili powder
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 2 seeded wraps
• 1 avocado, halved and stoned
• 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, sliced
• a few sprigs coriander, chopped
STEP 1: Mix the falafel with the lime juice, chili powder and garlic.
STEP 2: Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan then fry the falafel for a couple of mins – it will cook very quickly so keep an eye on it. Meanwhile, warm the wraps following the pack instructions or, if you have a gas hob, heat them over the flame to slightly char them. Do not let them dry out or they are difficult to roll.
STEP 3: Squash half an avocado onto each wrap, add the peppers to the pan to warm them through then pile onto the wraps with the falafel, and sprinkle over the coriander. Roll up, cut in half and eat with your fingers.
• 50g self-raising flour
• 50g wholemeal or wholegrain flour
• 2 small eggs, separated
• 1 tbs of OMG Mind Blend
• 150ml skimmed milk
• berries and low-fat yogurt
• 1 tbs of OMG Cacao Nibs
STEP 1: Sift the flours into a bowl. Add the egg yolks, a splash of milk, and the OMG Mind Blend, then stir to a thick paste. Add the remaining milk a little at a time so you don’t make lumps in the batter.
STEP 2: Whisk the egg whites until they stand up in stiff peaks, then fold them carefully into the batter – try not to squash out all the air.
STEP 3: Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and pour in enough batter to make a pancake. Cook for just under a minute until bubbles begin to pop on the surface and the edges are looking a little dry. Carefully turn the pancake over. Keep warm while you make the remaining pancakes. Serve with your favorite healthy toppings like fruit and cacao nibs.
Give these recipes a try, or the one that caught your eye, and share it with us and the #OMGCommunity